Saturday, 2 July 2011

naked art

I know some people, like my lovely grandmother, will be slightly taken aback by the word naked in association with me and my imagery.  In turn, others may be disappointed by the distinct lack of blatant sexualized nudity.  However, I am under the impression that those people may have been searching for an entirely different sort of naked than is found here, and in that case (for entirely different reasons than those my grandmother) they also probably aren’t too interested in my life and work as an artist.
photo/copyright: Andi Sappy 2009
model/photo-mainpulation/art: Carly Swenson
I consider my work to be an intricate part of who I am.  My ideals, thoughts, convictions, emotions, experiences, insecurities and visual style manifest themselves in my work and define me as a human.  I find this beautiful and comforting, despite leaving a part of me completely vulnerable, open to acceptance, appreciation, dismissal or failure.  Therefore, my work is conceptually naked, an honest and intricate part of who I am.
Art is why I get up in the morning, but my definition ends there. You know, it doesn't seem fair, that I am living for something I can't even define.--Ani DiFranco

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Nudity isn't necessarily sexuality, and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete